Current Stanford Students
Joint MS Application Process
MBA students currently enrolled in Stanford's Graduate School of Business (GSB), JD students at Stanford Law School (SLS), MA students in the Ford Dorsey Master's in International Policy program (MIP), MD students in the School of Medicine, or students pursuing a PhD in another Stanford department are eligible to submit an application during Winter Quarter of their first year. The deadline for applications to begin the Joint MS in Spring 2023 is Tuesday, January 31, 2023 by 11:59 pm Pacific Time. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance by Friday, February 17, 2023. Accepted students must matriculate by Friday, March 3, 2023. All new students are required to enroll in ENVRES 280 during Spring Quarter 2023.
There is no application fee to apply for the Joint MS. Those who matriculate in the Joint MS are required to pay a $125 fee to the Registrar to add their E-IPER graduate career.
E-IPER will not accept applications outside of existing application cycles. The MS-MBA, MS-JD, and MS/MA (MIP) degree programs are designed to start during a student’s first year, and students are highly encouraged to apply at that time. In exceptional cases, second-year GSB, SLS, and MIP students may apply to E-IPER by the deadline indicated above. Students should demonstrate their interest and commitment to the E-IPER MS degree by completing or enrolling in a minimum of 9 units of non-professional school E-IPER units by the time of their application in the second year. This is a minimum requirement, however, does not guarantee acceptance.
Ask your professional school admissions or academic operations office to forward a complete copy of your Graduate School of Business, Stanford Law School, Ford Dorsey Mater's of International Policy, School of Medicine, or PhD application to E-IPER by the January 31, 2023 deadline.
For GSB students: Fill out this Google Form to have your application forwarded to E-IPER.
For SLS students: Fill out the Release of Academic Records for Dual and Joint Degree Application Form to have your application forwarded to E-IPER.
Login to your Stanford Google account and submit the following application materials (.doc or .pdf) via Google Form submission portal:
- A statement of purpose (2 pages double-spaced maximum) to help us understand what you care about, how your experiences support the pursuit of an MS degree, and how an increased understanding in environment and resources will further your goals. There is no pre-defined best answer, and we hope you are able to share your authentic self in addressing the following:
- What environment, energy, and/or sustainability-related resource issue(s) do you care about. and why?
- Explain what motivates you to dedicate a significant part of your educational pursuits to a Master of Science in Environment and Resources.
- Tell us how your professional and personal experiences will help you pursue your E-IPER degree.
- Please emphasize the ways in which your experiences and skill sets will. help you navigate and be successful in E-IPER. (Note that we are looking for more than a list of your experiences or skill sets as we can see those in your resume.)
- Discuss how an increased understanding of environment and resources (e.g. in the natural or social sciences, technology, or in engineering) will support your goals.
- Use our website to learn about E-IPER's curriculum and experiences, such as the Capstone Project. Provide clear examples to help us understand the topics about which you are excited to learn and how they connect to the issues important to you.
- An unofficial Stanford transcript that includes your Autumn quarter grades and Winter quarter classes.
- For JD and MA(MIP) students only: Students applying for the Joint MS-JD or the Dual MS/MA (MIP) should include a brief description of their quantitative preparation (ie. 1-2 paragraphs describing your previous coursework in mathematics and sciences or relevant professional work and a bulleted list of previous coursework taken, if applicable) to demonstrate readiness for the science and engineering courses that are required for the Joint MS.
Submit a draft E-IPER Joint MS Program Plan outlining a proposed course of study. Make a personal copy of the degree-specific template in Google Sheets and share it with the E-IPER Student Services Officer. Students should use the course pathway lists and the ExploreCourses website to determine which courses are of interest, but students do not need to factor in class times when making their draft plans. The plan does not need to be signed at this time.
- MS-MBA Program Plan form
- MS-JD Program Plan form
- Dual MS/MA(MIP) Program Plan form
- Dual MS Program Plan form (for MD and PhD students)
All applications will be reviewed by the E-IPER Joint MS Admissions Committee which considers each applicant's academic preparation, professional experience, motivation, and career goals. The strongest candidates will clearly demonstrate how they will integrate their interests and prior experiences with their E-IPER and professional school education, and why an interdisciplinary graduate degree is necessary for their career goals.
Join dozens of Stanford Earth students who receive up to three years of funding and valuable leadership skills as Knight-Hennessy Scholars (KHS).
KHS admits up to 100 select applicants each year from across Stanford’s seven graduate schools, and delivers engaging experiences that prepare them to be visionary, courageous, and collaborative leaders ready to address complex global challenges. As a scholar, you join a multidisciplinary and multicultural cohort, participate in up to three years of leadership programming, and receive full funding for up to three years of your graduate studies at Stanford.
Candidates of any country may apply. KHS applicants must have earned their first undergraduate degree within the last seven years, and must apply to both a Stanford graduate program and to KHS. If you aspire to be a leader in your field, we invite you to apply. The KHS application deadline is Wednesday, October 12, 2022. Learn more about KHS admission.
If you have any questions about the application materials or process, contact Clark Campagna.